K1 Visa and Employment Authorization Document

Holders of a K-1 visa may work after they receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). The EAD is a work permit issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The K1 visa holder has two options in getting a permit. He or she may either apply as soon as possible, upon entry in the US or apply after the marriage.

Applying upon entry into the United States will allow the K-1 status holder employment authorization fast but it is not advisable. The lifespan of the EAD for K1 visa holders is contingent to the 90 day validity of the visa and the status as a fiancé. Once the fiancé marries the U.S. citizen or after the lapse of the visa validity, the EAD automatically expires.

The second option involves the filing for employment authorization with the application for the Adjustment of Status. The validity period of the EAD requested in this mode is normally for one year. In addition, the cost is less since the filing fee for the EAD is already part of the adjustment of status fee.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *