K2 Visa

Thai Fiancée has the privilege to bring with her to the United States her children to the United States through the US K2 Visa.

What is K2 visa?

K2 visa is a derivative visa of K1 visa or the US Fiancé visa. Hence, the K2 visa may only be issued if the K1 visa which serves as the principal visa is approved. It allows the holder to travel to the United States and formally apply for admission in the US port of entry.

Who may apply for K2 visa?

Only children of K1 visa holders under 21 years of age may be given K2 visas. It may only be issued within one year from the issuance of the K1 visa.

How to apply for K2 visa?

Being a derivative visa, the application for K2 visa is part of the K1 petition. All documents pertaining to the K1 like the Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, must indicate the name of the child as her child. Failure to do so will make it more difficult for the child to obtain K2 visa.

Once the in the petition filed in the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services is granted, the relevant papers will be forwarded to the National Visa Center or NVC.

The latter governmental agency will consequently submit these documents to the appropriate US embassy for Thailand and notify the applicant of the scheduled consular interview and additional instructions.

What happens after entry?

The K2 holder’s privilege to stay in the United States is contingent on the marriage of the K1 visa holder and the US citizen who filed the Form I-129F petition in her favor.

For this reason, if the marriage did not completed within the prescribed 90 day period the K2 visa holder’s status is revoked.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *